Welcome to The Walnut!
The Walnut is the official newsletter for PCS Ottawa, currently published approximately four times a year.
Every issue includes:
- Recaps of PCSO meetings and events
- Announcements about upcoming meetings and events
- Health and nutrition news
- Survivor stories
- Updates on new, innovative prostate and recurrent cancer treatment
- Research and diagnostics
- Photos, funny moments…and anything else we can come up with!
Get your copy of The Walnut
The Walnut is available on our website as a free downloadable PDF file.
Contact the editor
What another year it’s been! But we made it.
And our organization thrived, grew and changed.
The Walnut: Recent issues
Quality of Life: Cancer Survivors and Their Families
This quarter’s Walnut explores:
- The issues that can affect quality of life for survivors of prostate cancer
- How patients and family/caregivers can identify and help manage physical and psychological side effects or complications of prostate cancer treatment
- Opportunities to improve prostate cancer survivors’ and family/caregivers’ quality of life
Know Your Options
In this issue, we look at:
- The many prostate cancer treatment options available
- How to best partner with your health team
- Using tools to support decision-making
- Dealing with quality-of-life issues
The Art and Science of Diagnosis
In this issue, we provide:
- An overview of the wide variety of diagnostic tests and procedures in use today
- Expert opinions and analysis on the efficacy of options available
- Advice on dealing with the personal aspects of a prostate cancer diagnosis
Spotlight on Treatments
This issue discusses:
- An overview of treatment options—including genetic links to the disease, immunotherapies and other emerging treatments
- The role of clinical trials in testing new treatment options
- Personal accounts from a cancer survivor in Ottawa who has participated in a clinical trial, and from an Ottawa oncologist involved in clinical trials
Special Conference Issue
The PCSO conference, “Prostate Cancer—Discover the Future” was held in Ottawa September 15-16, 2017. This issue provides:
- Event highlights
- Links to video clips
- Recap of speakers and panelists
Get involved with PCS Ottawa.
Prostate Cancer Support Ottawa is 100% volunteer-run.
Help promote prostate cancer awareness
Prostate Cancer Support Ottawa provides speakers, professionally designed display units and accompanying literature for use at health fairs, sporting events, in shopping malls…any place people gather.
Contact us for more information on hosting an awareness event!
You can help support men and their families affected by prostate cancer.